In his first violent attack, at the age of 14, Georges tried to strangle Roselyne D, one of his mentally disabled adoptive sisters, in 1976. Two years later, he attacked another of his adoptive sisters, Christiane D, in 1978. Concerned for the welfare of her family, Mrs Morin arranged for Georges to return to the authorities of the DDASS.
Placed again in foster care, Georges was unable to control his violent urges and on 6 February 1979 he struck again. He attacked a girl, Pascale C, and tried to strangle her but she managed to escape. He was arrested by police but was released after a week. Rejected by his foster family, Georges became increasingly depressed and turned to alcohol for solace.
A year later, the 17-year-old Georges attacked Jocelyne S in May 1980. Later that month he assaulted Roselyne C, stabbing her violently in her face. Both girls survived their attacks and Georges was arrested once more and sent to prison for a year in Angers, in the Loire region. Upon his release from prison, Georges moved to Paris with a friend. Here he lived in squats in the east of the city. No one suspected Georges of being the serial killer he was. He committed petty crimes to survive, drank extensively and befriended young people interested in left-wing politics.
A month after his 19th birthday, Georges committed his first rape. On 16 November 1981 he attacked Nathalie C, a neighbour, as she was returning home. He raped her, stabbed her and left her for dead. Nathalie C survived the attack.
Following a five-month prison term for theft, Georges attacked again. On 7 June 1982 in a car park of the 16th arrondissement, he raped, stabbed and strangled Violette K but she managed to escape and went to the police. A few days later, Georges was arrested and sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Shortly after his release, Georges attacked Pascale N, 21, in a car park, where he raped and stabbed her in February 1984. She managed to break free and run away. Later that evening, police arrested Georges.
In 1985 he was sentenced at the Court of Assizes of Meurthe-et-Moselle to 10 years imprisonment. Due to good behaviour, towards the end of his sentence, Georges was allowed out of prison during the day but was required to report back each evening to spend the night.
On the evening of 24 January he simply did not report to prison and instead travelled to Paris to commit his first murder. He spotted an attractive young woman walking down the road. It was 19-year-old Pascale Escarfail, a student at the Sorbonne. Following her home, Georges grabbed her as she was opening her front door. Holding a knife to her throat, he forced his way in, tied her up and raped her, before slitting her throat and watching her die. A week after the murder, Georges calmly returned to prison as if nothing was amiss.
Released from prison on 4 April 1992, Georges wasted no time in finding another young female victim. On 22 April 1992 he attacked Eleonore D, who escaped and reported the incident to the police. Georges was arrested once more.
On 7 January 1994 Georges attacked Catherine Rock, 27, in an underground parking garage, where he raped and murdered her. A mere six days later, Georges struck again. His victim was radio host Annie L, whom he raped and murdered on the patio of her home on 13 January 1994.
Georges’ next attack was on 8 November 1994 in the underground parking garage of 22-year-old Elsa Benady’s home in the 13th arrondissement, where he raped and killed her. A month later, on 10 December 1994, he raped and murdered Dutch architect Agnes Nijkamp, 33, in her home in the 11th arrondissement. The media began to report a ‘Killer in East Paris’.
In June 1995, Georges attacked Elisabeth O and tried to kill her but she made a narrow escape. On 8 July 1995 Georges raped and murdered Helena Frinking, 27, in her apartment after she returned from an evening out. Georges assaulted Melanie B on 25 August 1995 in the Marais quarter.
Some progress was being made in the police investigation into the ‘Killer of East Paris’. However, whilst Elisabeth O had managed to give a vague description of her attacker, when shown a picture of Georges, she failed to identify him. Police did have DNA traces left at two crime scenes by the same individual and a footprint found at the location of the Helena Frinking crime.
In September 1997, Georges attacked and attempted to rape Estelle F but she fought him and escaped. A few days later, on 23 September 1997, he broke into the apartment of 19-year-old student, Magalie Sirotti, where he raped and stabbed her to death.
Five days later, Georges assaulted Valerie L in the stairwell of her apartment block, on 28 October 1997. Less than a month after that, Georges entered the home of Estelle Magd, 25, where he raped and murdered her on 16 November 1997. This was to be the last victim of ‘The Beast of Bastille’.